Littler delighted after Ireland qualify for Rugby League World Cup



By Gerard Mulreaney (@gerardmulreaney)

Ireland head coach Stuart Littler is ‘buzzing’ following his sides qualification for the 2021 Rugby League world cup in England, after they topped their qualifying group.

Ireland beat both Spain and Italy, but Italy’s win over Spain had already guaranteed Ireland’s qualification ahead of their clash, but Ireland still proceeded to beat the Italians 25-4 in Santry.

Littler was happy they achieved what they set out to do: “The game between Italy and Spain happened, and Italy gained the win which meant we had qualified. Objective one was complete.

“I told the players when we met, objective one was to qualify for the World Cup. Objective two was to win the group and get the higher seed going into the world cup. We’re building something now, over the next two years to get to that world cup.”

“I’m absolutely buzzing, it’s a massive achievement. It’s more about the team than myself. I’ve got a great staff behind me. They do a lot of work behind the scenes.

“From the kitmen to the doctor, the physio, to Casey (Dunne) who’s done a lot of development work over in Ireland. He’s added great value to the squad. Everyone’s been exceptional. We’re a close family. We’re building something, I can feel it. I’m really excited for what the next two years can bring.

Littler added: “We need our players to be playing at the highest level that they can. We’ll look at bringing in players who haven’t played for the past few years to put their hands up for selection, to show what they’re about, and that they’re committed to the cause.

“The more players we can get, who are willing to fight for what they believe in and put themselves in the shop window for a world cup shirt, it’s going to be massive for their careers.

“We’ve a few who’ve played previously at world cups, but we’ve also got lads who are excited about making this one. I want that challenge within the group. We have a great togetherness, which can’t be bought.

“I want everyone challenging each other in training, because if you’re not getting any challenge underneath, you’re not improving, you’re happy just to be in the 17 week in week out. I know a great saying, to be a number one you’ve got to train like a number two.”

Littler 41, a schoolteacher at Atherton Community School in Wigan, had a stellar career, playing over 500 games. He played in the Super League with the Salford City Reds, where he spent 12 years, and also played for Leigh Centurions (his hometown club), Rochdale and Swinton. He was also fortunate to play for Ireland in two World Cups.

Following retirement, Littler remained at Championship side Swinton as assistant to head coach John Duffy. But when Duffy left in July 2017 Littler was at a crossroads: “When John left it was a case of, do I stay, see who comes in, apply for the job myself, apply somewhere else as an assistant. I found myself in a position I wasn’t expecting. I just thought yeah, I could it. I then met with the board and said I’d like a shot at it. Lucky enough they recognised the attributes that I had,” said Littler.



While it was a very difficult start to management, Littler has steadily grown into the job. He steadied the ship in that first season, despite only having 12 fit players when he took over. Since then Swinton have improved, finishing comfortably in mid-table last season, with ten wins.

“We’ve grown year on year, and last season (2019), we had the best year we’ve had in 20 odd years, coming ninth in the Championship. We’ve a young exciting team. We’re back in pre- season now, just finished week three, and the future is very bright,” said Littler.

As for the Irish job, he says he saw a post on Facebook where they were looking for a new head coach. He started doing some research and put a plan together. Littler said: “I spoke to a couple of people and said I’d be keen to talk to someone. I thought I could tap into the values they were looking for.

“The biggest one is, how do we develop the sport in Ireland. We’ve got to make the footprint grow. As a coach I want access to more players. I’m trying to give myself a selection headache, that’s what I want to get to. I put forward my ideas about it to the board and it went from there.”

Looking back on his career, Littler picks out some treasured memories, but says his time representing Ireland in the World Cup was the undoubted highlight: “There are a few standout moments in there, winning a couple of titles at Salford (2003 & 2008). We won a trophy at Leigh Centurions, the Northern Rail Cup. That was special as it was my hometown team.

“Got to the playoffs with Salford – first time in their history (in 2006; lost the playoff game 52-6 to Bradford). But the two highlights were definitely the two World Cups with Ireland. In 2008 over in Australia, representing your country in a tournament like that, on Australian soil as well.

“But then 2013 was a totally different beast, we knew that we had to beat Fiji probably in the first game. We just came up short on that one, then we had to play a couple of the best teams in the world in England and Australia. It’s good to test ourselves, but they were just too strong for us. It was great to play the best players in the world (Australia) at Thomond Park in Limerick. They’re the standout moments of my career for sure.

“In club football, I spent 13 years at Salford, a long part of my career, over in Super League. Went to Leigh for four years, was lucky enough to captain them. Finished off at Swinton, then ended up with a coaching job. Looking back, don’t get me wrong, obviously I’d have loved to have played in a Challenge Cup Final or a Grand Final, but I didn’t quite get there. Got to the quarterfinals but never made it past there. Got to the World Cup quarter-final in 2008, lost to Fiji, just wasn’t to be. I’d love to have won something, something major, but many players don’t get to do what I did either, so I look on the positive side.”

I asked him what he’s learned about himself as a coach. He said: “I’m a firm believer that if you don’t keep educating yourself, if you stop progressing, stop innovating, someone will pass you out. I watch as much rugby as I can watch, I’m a real rugby nerd to be fair (laughing). You need to educate yourself; you need to know what players are doing, what structures people are playing.”

In his short coaching career, it’s been noticeable that he’s open to giving young players opportunities, sometimes out of necessity, but he’s happy with that saying: “Youth’s the future. Yes, you need experience but I’m a big believer in promoting youth and giving them a chance. Some of them will take the opportunity, some of them won’t, but it’s up to them to prove their worth.

“I’m talking about the likes of Liam Byrne (Wigan) and Pat Moran (Widnes), only 20-year olds, they’ve got another 10-15 years. George King (Wakefield) not much older, so you got three key players in the middle of the park. You’ve also got Ollie Roberts (Huddersfield) in the back row. We’ve got a young squad.”

Picture Credit: RTE, Swinton Lions RFC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treacy moving up to D1 level as career progression continues

Tennis star Carr looking ahead to a big year

The O’Brien dynasty continues as brothers link up to take the Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby