Jockey Kelly off the mark with a winner at Thurles



By Gerard Mulreaney (@gerardmulreaney)

When the Padraig Roche trained Open To The World won the Molony Cup Handicap Chase at Thurles last Friday, it gave 18 year old jockey Aidan Kelly from Monasterevin in Kildare his first winner. 

Kelly didn’t realise he won until travelling head lad Pascal came out with a big smile on his face. He said: “I was delighted when I figured out that I had won. It’s great to have gotten a winner here in Ireland as it’s so hard to get rides.”

Victory never really looked likely as Kelly, claiming 7lbs, was struggling in the final half mile. However, having ridden the mare ten times he thought he could get more out of her in the final stages: “Throughout the race the mare never really travelled well for me, but after riding her so many times I knew her inside out and thought she might pick up a bit of prize-money. 

“I wasn’t expecting her to go out and win in the end. Jumping the last she had gotten in tight and I thought my chance of winning was over. However, she battled hard and just got there on the line. At first I thought I just got second again until Pascal, the man leading her out, came out with a big smile on his face. Hopefully now I can get a few outside rides now that I’ve ridden a winner. My goal is to try and ride as many winners as I can and stay here in Ireland.

“I can’t thank Padraig and Christy (Padraig’s dad) enough because they’ve thought me so much and have given me great opportunities. It was great to have ridden my first winner for Padraig, and to make it even better, it was in Christy’s own colours.”



The teenager spoke about how his interest in racing began: “It was actually my neighbour Buddy Harrison, also known as Pat, who got me interested in the horses. He’s thought me loads. 

“I got into races with Buddy, going to the pony racing every Sunday. He put me up on my first ever racehorse and from then it was an instant addiction. I then worked part-time for Michael Halford, going in on school holidays or whenever I could.”

Kelly, who came through RACE (Racing Academy and Centre of Education), explained what it’s all about: “I went to RACE in August 2017 after finishing my Junior Cert. We work there on the premises, learning how to work in a racing yard. Luckily for me I knew a bit about working in racing after working for Michael Halford. We also went to school in RACE, learning the anatomy of horses, the business of horse racing, and lots more. 

“In November of that year I was sent out to Christy Roche. He retired the following year. Padraig, Christy’s son, then took over training and I’ve been there ever since. Everyone on the course in RACE were sent out to a yard, and luckily, I got Padraig’s. I love working in Padraig’s, he’s a sure trainer to keep an eye on. All the horses run well, and he seems to be doing a great job of it.”

He said he chose to concentrate on National Hunt instead of the flat because he was that bit heavy and that there’s more excitement in the jumps game. Kelly also acknowledged the help of a couple of senior jockeys: “Every day is a learning day for me. Both Jody McGarvey and Mark Walsh have been great help to me. They’ve definitely helped me with my style of riding and my knowledge.”

Picture Credit: Horse Racing Ireland & Healy Racing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treacy moving up to D1 level as career progression continues

Tennis star Carr looking ahead to a big year