Dunne frustrated with Ballyliffin showing



Paul Dunne, who finished down in 40th place in the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open, had what he called a frustrating week despite the overwhelming support he and all the Irish players got this week in Ballyliffin. 


Following rounds of 73, 72, 72 and 71 Dunne said the inconsistency in finding fairways didn’t help his cause this week. Dunne said, “I just couldn’t get it in the fairway enough to have consistent chances to attack flags. I got it under par early, had a few chances to get a bit more under, didn't take them, get a couple of bad breaks and all of a sudden you're back to square one. The overall feeling would be slight frustration for the week. I felt like I played better than 50th place or whatever level par is. Just one of those things. I couldn't get anything going for the week.”


The Irish Open is well renowned for huge crowds attending the event and Dunne couldn’t praise them enough. He said, “I can't remember the last time I had a thousand people watching me when I play was in 50th. Normally there's three and those three are with you. You get support and that's a positive. It's been a great week with the crowds, environment, having family up, all that stuff. Course has been amazing.”


He was extremely disappointed that the week didn’t go for him, “It's three Irish Opens, three made cuts and three very average finishes. Just for now going to focus on next week, really. I just need to get a few more breaks and hit a few more fairways and I think I'll be fine.”


Moving forward now to the next two weeks, with both the Scottish Open followed by the Open Championship Dunne said his game feels very close to where he wants it to be, “I feel good. My iron play feels great, putting is good. Seeing my lines well. Just need to get comfortable hitting driver on links golf courses in wind. I feel like if I went out and played a parkland today, I would drive it great because my swing doesn't feel so far away.”


“Just that bit of tension when you're hitting in crosswinds and down narrow chutes, and you know there's a bunker five yards left, you're in big trouble. It's just kind of getting a little bit more comfort in that and shaping it against winds and I'll be fine. That's really the only element that needs work.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treacy moving up to D1 level as career progression continues

Tennis star Carr looking ahead to a big year

Jockey Kelly off the mark with a winner at Thurles