Irish Athletes claim medals at the European U18 Championships



What a weekend for Irish Athletics in Gyor! The team return home today from Hungary after a successful time at the U-18 European Championships, claiming 3 Golds and a Silver. 


The star of the show was undoubtedly Sarah Healy, as she claimed Gold in both the 1500m and the 3000m. In doing so, the 17 year-old set Championship records in both events to cement her place as the best young middle-distance runner in Europe. 


She decimated the field in the 3000m final on Friday before lining up in the 1500m final on Sunday. She  led the field at the bell before storming clear in the final 300m to win in style. 


Also winning a Gold medal was Rhasidat Adeleke, in the 200m. She blitzed the bend and gave her rivals a clean pair of heels as she won Gold in a time of 23.52, which was a personal best, no better place to do that than here. 


Adeleke said, “I just can’t believe it, it’s just so surreal. I just tried my best to keep my form, because I know when I’m under pressure I lose my form and slow down. I think I did that well today. You have to really get a good bend, you just drive on and keep going down the straight.” 


When asked how she felt, Adeleke was lost for words, “I don’t know, it’s like crazy!”


Another medalist for Ireland was Sophie O’Sullivan, as she won Silver in the 800m. O’Sullivan, daughter of Irish Athletics legend Sonia, battled all the way and secured her own personal best time of 2.06.05. In a little quirk of fate her mother would present her with her medal, after she was asked prior to the tournament. 


It all bodes well for the future of Irish Athletics, with the IAAF World U20 Championships coming up in Tampere, Finland on Wednesday. 


Picture by Athletics Ireland 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treacy moving up to D1 level as career progression continues

Tennis star Carr looking ahead to a big year

Jockey Kelly off the mark with a winner at Thurles