No McIlroy in Irish Open



In hugely disappointing news for for Irish golf fans, World Number 8 Rory McIlroy has today confirmed that he won’t be playing in this year’s Irish Open at Lahinch Golf Club.


The 29 year-old from Hollywood in County Down wants to concentrate fully on the Major Championships, and in particular the Open Championship which takes place in Portrush in July.


"If there is ever a year when I feel I can miss this Irish Open, it's this year," McIlroy told BBC Sport Northern Ireland.


"If I was to play the Irish Open, The Open Championship would be my third event in a row.”


"For me, that's not the best way to prepare for what could be the biggest event of my life.”


"I love the Irish Open. I've supported it in my whole career. The people of Ireland are still going to see me playing golf because I'm going to play The Open Championship and I'm sure a lot of people will travel from down south."


He’s decided to play more on the US PGA Tour this season, as he says he needs to play against the best players in the world, and according to him, that’s in the US.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treacy moving up to D1 level as career progression continues

Tennis star Carr looking ahead to a big year

Jockey Kelly off the mark with a winner at Thurles